10 licks 10 weeks

Home Forums Cambridge Saxophone Forum 10 licks 10 weeks

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Dan Forshaw 2 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Just to be honest, I think that I need to really start from the beginning of music theory and chords? I don’t even understand what you mean about c 7 major/ minor etc, I think I am putting the cart in front of the horse in so many ways. I will go through those videos and pick up what I can and go from there. Vinny

Dan Forshaw
    Keymaster

Hi Vinny – make sure you’ve completed the beginners course, focus on the lesson 8 on Scales and Arpeggios.

Dan Forshaw
    Keymaster

NickJen
    Participant

When I first saw the video, I was a bit in despair, but – old fashioned studying – watching it a bit at a time, and making notes, it began to come together! I came unstuck trying to play over Milwaukee. Which minor 11th is it for alto? And how do I work this out from the notes over the score? Having said that, just starting to play the lick from any note is fun.

Dan Forshaw
    Keymaster

Hi Nick the minor 11th is D minor 11th for Alto or Tenor on Milwaukee Avenue (the band changes key, not the saxophone – just make sure you have the correct backing track)

D minor 11th = D F A + C E G

mjwells
    Participant

Lick 6 – Cry me a river – is a really great one. I have always loved Diana Krall’s version of the tune and it is fantastic moving this one around the keys and finishing off the melody. Plus, you get most of the Careless Whisper lick in the same pattern!

Thanks Dan

Michael

mjwells
    Participant

Lick 7 sounds really good. I’ll be honest, I was expecting something a bit obscure for a diminished lick! I think the sequence in this one is the same as Robbie Williams’ “Millennium”. I wish I could think of a jazz piece instead. Sorry…:)

Michael

Dan Forshaw
    Keymaster

It’s close Michael, but Robbie ‘borrowed’ / stole the phrase in Millennium from John Barry’s ‘You Only Live Twice’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs8uYxTJ530

The first interval on YOLT is a semitone, whereas the Diminished has a whole tone – good try though.

I am slightly worried that you will come up with a Spice Girls connection on the next lick…

Dan Forshaw
    Keymaster

It’s close Michael, but Robbie ‘borrowed’ / stole the phrase in Millennium from John Barry’s ‘You Only Live Twice’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs8uYxTJ530

The first interval on YOLT is a semitone, whereas the Diminished has a whole tone – good try though.

I am slightly worried that you will come up with a Spice Girls connection on the next lick…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.