Deck the hallls

Home Forums Cambridge Saxophone Forum Deck the hallls

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      NickJen
      Participant

Dan – I think there might be an error at the start of bar 9 of the Deck practice sheet (bar 41 of original). It starts with an a, not #f. N

benedictmccaffrey
      Participant

another deck the halls question.
      The twiddly 4 note groups at the end of bar 39 and start of bar 40.

My brain wants them to be triplets.
      Is it just me?
      Is there an answer aside from an MRI scan?

ben

Dan Forshaw
        Keymaster

I assure you that they are semiquavers Ben – keep on with the extract sheet in quavers until you can play them 🙂

Vanessa
      Participant

yep, me too Ben. Even when listening to it in the actual recording it just sounds awkward to me….maybe I’m not jazzy enough 😉
      I am getting the hang of it now tho – i did it by using a metronome and clapping and stamping out the rhythm until it lodged in my brain – it took quite a while – I started at 50bpm and worked up – I’m now at 130bpm, still way off the speed we need tho!

benedictmccaffrey
        Participant

maybe we are too jazzy?

thanks for the tip.
        I’ll cancel the scan

Vanessa
      Participant

🙂

John Lang
      Participant

Using Transcribe! and looping those sections. Between 80% and 90% speed now but it is not easy and I’m quietly driving myself potty. The Bb’s have got to be bis key. Worked out that the speed is about 280 quavers per minute!!!

Vanessa
      Participant

bis is my Achilles heel :/

Vanessa
      Participant

bis key is my Achilles heel :/

Dan Forshaw
      Keymaster

Hi Nick – not an mistake bar 9 in the extracts corresponds to bar 42 in the piece.

John Lang
      Participant

Hi Dan

Well – I’ve done three recordings and I’m not happy with any of them. I will get there – sort of – but having listened back I’m concerned that in my attempts to get the solo correct I am losing quality of tone in those four lines as well as errors. My God – the trials and tribulations of being a musician!!!

By the way, last nights Christmas Concert of Alnwick Playhouse Concert Band went very well. One of the pieces – Proclamation of Christmas – was spot on and is a lot more difficult than Deck the Halls – but we’ve been working on it for three months!!

John Lang
      Participant

After two disastrous days I am now back to square one!!! 70-80%

Dan Forshaw
      Keymaster

Vanessa
      Participant

me too John – two steps forward, one step back with the solo – I can’t seem to get faster than 130bpm and if I do, the tone is pretty hideous…just gotta keep keepin’ on I guess 😉

benedictmccaffrey
      Participant

thanks for all the encouragement chaps. plan to press the button to record tomorrow evening.
      plan one take and prayer in true jazz spirit. it will be with feeling even if that feeling is nausea.

happy times

John Lang
      Participant

Dan You make it look so simple. If I get a Mac will my playing improve dramatically? This post is via my new IPad Air2.

John Lang
      Participant

I think one of the problems I have encountered with this solo is that for some unknown reason I feel the need to tongue the start of the quaver runs at the beginning of each bar. This is having an adverse effect on the smoothness of the tune.

Dan Forshaw
      Keymaster

Well done everyone

John Lang
      Participant

Thanks Dan for pulling us all out of our comfort zones. Thanks to all you guys for making it possible and merry Christmas from Northumberland.

Vanessa
      Participant

Hooray!! We did it!
      Great edit Dan.
      Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all.

mjwells
      Participant

Hurrah!

The video is fantastic. Well done everyone – it is lovely to see (and hear) you all!

Happy Christmas
      Michael / Cambridge

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.