Looking for advice on getting back to playing

Home Forums Cambridge Saxophone Forum Looking for advice on getting back to playing

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  paul sterling 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

paul sterling
    Participant

Hi, I’ll try to keep this short.

I played alto sax at a really baseline level, I could read notations and if I took my time studying I was able to play (relatively simple) tunes, like the Pink Panther theme song. I did this without using my front upper teeth – I broke both of them, slippery floors be damned – so all the pressure was on my lower lip – which was also damaged, got cut open in 4, had to get stitches – so for a while, 2 or 3 years now, I put my alto down due to pain, exhaustion, and depression. The whole lot.

Recently, and after my teeth got decently fixed (implant on one of them), I’ve been thinking about picking it back up, but I have no idea where to begin. I’m looking for general recommendations, both on guides/studies I can do on my own, and on practical tips so that playing doesn’t hurt as much as it did, ways to strengthen my lower lip, if at all possible. Gonna see if it’s at all possible, or if I’m better off pursuing some other instrument that isn’t as heavy on the mouth.

Thank you in advance!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.