Theory Course

Home Forums Cambridge Saxophone Forum Theory Course

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dan Forshaw 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Dan Forshaw
    Keymaster

This is for those of you who have started, or even completed our Theory course. Please note that some topics might be better addressed in a ‘webinar’ check out the course to see the date of the next one!

https://cambridgesaxophone.com/courses/theory/

therunninghead
    Participant

Anyone want to discuss the Eric Taylor book? I’m feeling very happy about finishing it, and it has indirectly helped my playing already, but the answers (‘Model Answers’ book) tells me I don’t understand (in particular) the principles behind (1) ‘More irregular time divisions’ and (2) ‘Intervals’.

For (1), are these things explained in the AB Guide to Music Theory? I got most of Exercise 3 (b) and (c) wrong. Wikipedia is baffling. Can anyone recommend any good links that explain?

For (2), I am completely confused that it is NOT possible, apparently, to say (for example) that an augmented 4th is the same as a diminished 5th. Can anyone explain? And in Exercise 2, third row, third question (treble clef, in E major) a low D# and a Bb sound exactly like a perfect 5th to me, but apparently it’s diminished 6th. Does the name of the interval really just depend on the notation, and not at all on what it sounds like?

Dan (if you’re tuned in to this), your ‘How to work out intervals’ sheet says (at ‘4 o’clock’ position) ‘If a tone lower than the Major | it is Diminished’, but that would mean (in C major) that G would be the diminished of A. Is there something I’m not getting?

If anyone is feeling confused I’m happy to swap confusions with you on this.

David

Dan Forshaw
    Keymaster

Hi David

My first answer would be for you to watch the videos on time signatures and intervals again!

Time signatures are a little difficult to explain in text, perhaps we could do it on the next webinar.

As for intervals – you are spot on, it is down to how it is written, not how it sounds. This harps back to the fact that strictly speaking, D# and Eb are NOT the same note. It is only in our ‘well tempered’ system do they actually become the absolute, same pitch.

In answer to your final point, if I was going from C to Abb then it would be a ‘Diminished 6th’ interval. C to G would be a perfect 5th, but we have not been asked for that.

I suppose it’s a bit like I was told quite frequently at school & college, ‘answer the question!’

Hope this helps.

jamie
    Participant

Hi All,

Just completed this course. What’s an appropriate following course?

Cordially,
    Jamie

Dan Forshaw
    Keymaster

Hi Jamie

I’d suggest applying some of it to a transcription project.

There’s around twenty on the site now, so take your pick

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.